Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Review #55: Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin

Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin (2009)



I'm not really a fan of Kathy Griffin as I don't really follow her and what she is doing. I've only caught a couple of episodes from D-List. If anything, I know her more as a personality from talk shows and red carpets than I do as a stand-up comedian. So, this really wasn't a "must-read" book for me.

Having just finished it, how did it hold up? Pretty good. Much better than I thought it would be. This is the book that I was expecting Tina Fey to write in that I know Kathy a whole lot better than before and the structure of the book was pretty good as well. There is a lot of dish-worthy name dropping in Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin to go along with some eye opening stories about her Brother the pedophile as well as her struggles with eating disorder.

This was a very entertaining read from the get go and it would have gotten a full 5 Star rating from me if she had just omitted the final 2, worthless chapters. The chapter about Steve Wozniak was garbage and just overall...weird. It's all filler for the book reprinting her emails with Woz, who comes off looking pretty stupid and desperate for affection. Just....bizarre.

And the chapter about her and Paris Hilton was a bore. But other than that, I can recommend this book to everyone.

Rating: 4 Stars out of 5


Review by Chiprocks1

No comments:

Post a Comment