Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ace Frehley (Frehley's Comet) 1987

Ace Frehley (Frehley's Comet) 1987

Front Cover

When Ace left KISS, I had been anticipating the release of his solo venture, which seemed to take years for it to happen. And when it finally dropped, I wasn't disappointed at all. After hearing the first song, Rock Soldiers on the album, I knew I was in for a treat. It has one of the coolest drum intros ever. I was hooked. This was a completely different sounding Ace, guitar-wise that is. It was more current, and in line with the day's shredders of that year.

My only thing I had to get my head around was the inclusion of Tod Howarth. I couldn't understand why this dude was getting to sing on the record at the time. But Ace was intent of having a band and not to be viewed as a "solo" record. Overall it's just a kick ass record.

I have to point out that Frehley's Comet has one of the weirdest songs I've ever heard: Dolls. And I absolutely love it. Totally original and definitely a trip to listen to it.

As he did on his KISS Solo record, he continues with his all instrumental song Fractured Too, which is so far from either record sonically, and oh so cool.

Whenever I listen to this album, it instantly takes me back to 1987. So many great albums came out that year that it was overload to me. And Frehley's Comet was one of my favorites that year. Love this one a lot. As I mentioned before, Ace didn't disappoint here when it finally came out. He had left the band back in 1982 and he still kept his identity hidden from the rest of the world till release day.

So, I couldn't wait to see his first music video for Into The Night, where I would FINALLY get to see what he looked like. It was definitely a moment I had been waiting years for, more so than seeing the other guys because the wait was much longer. 

Fave Songs: Rock Soldiers, Into The Night, We Got Your Rock, Love Me Right, Dolls and Fractured Too

Album cover was and is meh. Nothing groundbreaking here.

Rating: 5 Stars out of 5

Review by Chiprocks1

Frehley's Comet Music Videos

Ace Frehley - Rock Soldiers


Ace Frehley - Into The Night


No comments:

Post a Comment