Saturday, March 12, 2011

KISS: Animalize (Live Uncensored)

KISS: Animalize (Live Uncensored)

Front Cover

With the costumes that made up the Animalize Tour, this does come off as super cheesy 80's stuff all the way. And Gene's wig and headband doesn't help the cause a whole lot either. Haha. But this is still a must have for any collection.

I originally saw this when it premiered on MTV, taping it of course. And then when they finally released it on VHS, I snapped that one up too, since my recorded copy had become degraded over time and use.

And then about 2 years ago, I picked up the DVD copy for 8 bucks in the bargin bin. I left the store very happy, knowing full well that the copy I had in my hands was OOP and extremely rare.  Some people had been selling it anywhere from $75- $125.

I doubt the guy knew what it was worth at the time, or maybe he didn't think anyone would buy it. That's why I'm always hitting 2nd hand stores to find OOP stuff.

The concert itself is pretty good. Very solid performance, even if it is cheesy with their costumes. This was also my first introduction of Bruce Kulick, who is very underrated as a guitar player (hell, he was in the band longer than Ace). This Concert more than makes up for not being included in Kissology Vol. 2. Since Bruce was the new kid, the guitar solo spotlight in the show and tour went to Paul, which I've never seen him do since then.

I would have liked to have gotten a complete Animalize Concert with Mark St. John in Vol. 2. Oh well. Personally I don't know if any footage exist of this. But Gene and Paul have always said that they have taped every single show they've done going all the way back to the beginning. So, you figure out if they have it or not. My guess is that they do, but for whatever reason have decided not to release anything from it. Sigh.

This concert also has my favorite performance of "Black Diamond", with the added coda at the end of the song, when Paul, Gene, and Bruce are descending from the rafters on Eric Carr's drum riser (not so much a riser since it's going down, huh?) ;P

Rating: 4 1/2 Stars out of 5

Review by Chiprocks1

No comments:

Post a Comment