Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chip's Daily Jukebox Pick #1: Anthrax

Anthrax (Sound Of White Noise) 1993

Front Cover

Back Cover

Anthrax fans either are going to love this album or hate it. If they hate it, it's clear that they come from the Joey Belladonna camp. For this album, Joey was replaced by John Bush (Armored Saint).

This album is one of the greatest albums of all time in the Metal genre...period. I'm a huge fan of the Belladonna era. But unlike some fans, I'm not going to let my loyalty dictate that I automatically condemn any record as irrelevant just based on the fact there's a new singer. If I did that, Van Halen and AC/DC would have to suffer the same. Stupid, I know.

Not only is this one of my all time favorite albums of any band, it clearly is the best in the Anthrax history to me. I will put this album up against anything by Metallica, Guns N Roses, etc...

This is pure balls to walls sonic bliss for me and I just can't get enough of Sound Of White Noise. Every song is unique and doesn't sound anything like the last song that comes before it. If you want an album full of agressive playing and singing, this is definitely right up your alley and you can't go wrong here at all. I originally picked up the album when I saw the video for Only on MTV and I was like "damn, this is fucking awesome shit". When I heard the rest of the album I was just totally blown away with it and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.

The one thing that you will immediately notice about White Noise is the change in music style as it incorporates more of a Hard Rock flavor to go along with the grunge element with thrash thrown in for good measure. I don't have a problem with this change at all as I find it to be something of a rebirth for the band rather sticking to the thrash metal playing that dominated their earlier stuff.

If you only pick up one album this year, and for whatever reason, you never got around to picking this one up, this is definitely the one to get. You absolutely will not regret it. Promise.

Fave songs: Only, Room For One More, Packaged Rebellion, Invisible, and Black Lodge. MVP for best song goes to Only.

Rating: 5 Stars out of 5

Review by Chiprocks1

The Sound Of White Noise Music Videos

Anthrax - Only


Anthrax - Black Lodge


Anthrax - Room For One More 


Anthrax - Hy Pro Glo

No comments:

Post a Comment